API access keys provide a secure means to programmatically access certain Server functions from another application. Access to API access keys is controlled by your subscription options. API access currently allows:
- Analytics - Read-only access to Server reports. The APIs allow you to retrieve a report’s identifier through a list of all available reports. You can then use the report's identifier to display the results of the report.
Reports must first be created using the Management Center. Refer to Using Reports for more information on the available reports.
- Search - Access to the following two search APIs:
- Search - Perform a full text search equivalent to using the Search field in the Learning Library.
- CSHSearch - Perform a context-sensitive search equivalent to the search performed by in-application help solutions.
An API access key can only be created by system or project administrators and is valid until the key is deleted. If the user is removed from the applicable role or the user is deactivated, the API access key is also deleted. An API access key has the same access as the user who created the key.
- Project administrator created keys will only have access to projects that the project administrator owns.
- System administrator created keys will have access to all projects in the Management Center.
To manage API access keys, perform the steps below.
- Click on the username and dropdown on the top banner of the Management Center.
- Click My API Keys.
- Review the following information:
Displays the name of the API access key.
Displays the date and time the API access key was created.
Displays the API(s) for which the API access key was created.
- Choose from the following options:
If You Want To
Create a new API Access key
- Click New Key.
- Enter the Key Name.
- Select the APIs for which the key is being created.
- Click Generate Key to display the key.
- Review the newly created Key.
NOTE: This is the only time you will be able to view the key.
- Click to copy the key to a secure place.
- Click Close.
Remove an API key
Click X beside the key you want to remove.